Hepatitis / HCV

Hepatitis / HCV

350,000 to 500,000 people die from HCV-related complications each year. HCV can be short-term (acute) or long-term (chronic), and there is currently no vaccine to prevent HCV. However, there is now life saving medication that will cure the disease if taken properly.
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), in 2016 there were about 3,000 reported cases of acute HCV. The CDC estimates the actual number of acute HCV cases to be 41,000.
Approximately 3.5 million people in the United States are living with chronic HCV.
According to the World Health Organization 15% to 45% of people infected with HCV get better within six months without ever receiving treatment. However, that still leaves an enormous amount of people who will not recover without treatment.
Of those who will not spontaneously recover from the disease, 55% to 85% will develop chronic HCV infection.  For people with chronic HCV, the chance of developing cirrhosis of the liver is 15% to 30% percent within 20 years.

Opportunity

  • System

    Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of health professionals and the health care system, through better information and tracking of medication adherence. Address social factors, financing systems, organizational processes, technologies, and personal behaviours that affect the health of people.
  • Provider

    Formal HCV education and medication adherence expedites HCV therapy and improves virologic response rate. Improving provider knowledge will likely enhance access to HCV specialty services in the vulnerable population. Providers need to communicate projected response rates effectively to enable patients with hepatitis C virus to make informed decisions about therapy.
  • Patient

    The physical and mental impact of disease can be assessed by measuring the patient’s quality-of-life, patient’s understanding of altered health status; physical, mental and emotional, plus numerous of other co-morbidities.